Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Childhood Hates and Adult Loves: How your taste buds can change when you grow up!

Do you remember when you were a kid and your parents tried to get you to eat something you didn’t like? I know it sounds general because all parents try to get their kids to eat things they do not like.
Do you remember what those foods were? I remember what I despised the most. I utterly despised cantaloupe, coffee, Burger King, yellow mustard or any mustard for that matter. I hated Thanksgiving stuffing, any type of greens and cabbage.
My dad used to always tell me that things you hate when you are a kid you will love or grow to love as an adult.
When I was a kid I never believed him.
I was definitely finicky with my food and if my mom cooked those foods I would not eat or I made sure the offending food was not on my plate.
Just the thought of those items made me want to vomit. I avoided them like the plague.
When I got older and became an adult (hopefully), I realized that my taste buds had changed. I believe it all started when I was pregnant with my first child and I began to crave those foods that I would never have eaten in a million years.
When I was pregnant I craved cantaloupe. I just had to have it and after I gave birth…I sill wanted to eat it. That is when it dawned on me that maybe it wasn’t just the pregnancy. Maybe, my taste buds were changing.
I hated walking past a coffee shop and smelling the coffee. Then one day when my husband and I were at the airport, I gave in and bought some Star Bucks coffee. I ordered a white chocolate mocha…and I loved it. Eventually it led to me buying a coffee pot and drinking coffee every morning.
I used to want to murder my husband if he forgot and put mustard on my food. But guess what? I love it now.
That doesn’t mean that I like everything that I hated. I still hate cabbage, greens, refried beans, and Thanksgiving stuffing.
Yet, I continue to try new foods and checking once in a while to see if anything has changed.
I have yet to tell my father he was right though…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers