Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Now That's What I Call Comfort!


Comfort food is food prepared traditionally that may have a nostalgic or sentimental appeal.”



My mother Patricia L. Padgett passed away almost 2 years ago.  It was a hard time for me, my dad and my siblings. 

We all sought something of hers to hold onto whether it is her jewelry, her clothes, her pictures or her knick knacks.

Me?

 I chose food. 

My mother would not be surprised.

My mother’s food was always something that could comfort me.  I believe that is why I love food so much.

 On holidays my sisters and I would stand in the Kitchen with my mother and prepare her food for the whole family to enjoy. 

When she passed away the first thought after some of the grief had subsided was “I need to find her recipes.” I knew that was something she cherished and I knew that we had the love of food in common.  I didn’t need anything else of hers. 

I knew she wanted to share her recipe with the world and that is what I intend to do. 

Food has always been a comfort to me.  My mother’s dishes and recipes had the ability to make everything right in the world.  Even when I had a bad day.

My favorite thing that my mother cooked was her meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it!

I try to give that to my children.  I cook my mother’s food for them.  They know all about her recipes even if they will never meet her.

Comfort food is the food that has something familiar and special for you.  It makes you feel at home and it makes you feel loved.

Food can have that affect.

When it came to my mother I felt her love from the inside out.

That is what I call comfort…



What are your favorite comfort foods?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers